It is suggested that you carry the following documents with you when re-entering the U.S; other items on this list are useful for supporting your activities as a student. All of these documents are needed if you will be applying for an entry visa.
Required for international travel:
- Passport valid for at least six months after date of re-entry to the US
- Valid F-1 or J-1 entry visa (and valid dependent visas, if needed)
- I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel (within the last six months)
- Any work authorization document you may have
If you need to re-new your current visa, you will also need the following:
- Financial Certification (bank statement, offer letter for assistantship)
- Copies of all I-20s or DS-2019s previously issued to you
- Official Transcript (from the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320)
- University admission letters (or copies of admission letters) for each degree program or major, if applicable. If you do not have a copy, please see International Student Services.
You do not need a letter of enrollment from the registrar for a visa renewal. The Department of State website states you only need a transcript. For further information, see: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html#12
Additional Resources and Information
- For F-1 visa application requirements, please see http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1270.html.
- For J-1 visa application requirements, please see http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html.
- To check estimated wait time for a visa appointment, go to http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/wait_4638.html.
- If you have a spouse or child who will be traveling with you as your dependent, you will need to see International Services to request an F-2 or J-2 document.
- Remember the F-1 and J-1 visas are non-immigrant visas; you must prove that you are intending to return to your home country after completing studies. Be prepared to discuss your plans after graduation and provide support of your intent to return.
- Please note: Some F-1 or J-1 visa applicants may be required to pay a SEVIS fee. Dependents applying for an F-2 or J-2 visa never pay the SEVIS fee. More information please visit http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/index.htm
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: New students are required to appear in person with their I-94 and passport if they wish to transfer to another language program.