The Cambridge CELTA Course Online is a blended learning course, combining online study with face-to-face teaching practice.
The content of the online course follows exactly the same syllabus as the face-to-face intensive course. The online course includes two parts:
This includes interactive course content, forum discussions, live sessions, written assignments and guided video observations. These may be completed in your own time within deadlines set by our online trainer. You should be prepared to spend a minimum of five hours a week online. There are seven required live sessions throughout the course (times will be arranged to fit the availability of the trainees, when possible).
You must be present in Springfield, Missouri for this component. This includes six hours of teaching practice, supervised lesson planning, feedback, peer observation and three hours of experienced teacher observations. The University of Cambridge requires candidates on all CELTA courses, whether online or face-to-face, to teach for a total of six hours during the course and be assessed by their trainer.
The Online CELTA is assessed and moderated according to the same criteria as the intensive face-to-face courses and leads to exactly the same qualification. The fact that you’ve taken the CELTA online rather than face-to-face will not appear on your certificate.
Upcoming Course Dates
April 2 - July 28, 2017 (on-site component July 3-15, 2017)
September 18, 2017 - January 26, 2018 (on-site component January 2-13, 2018)
Benefits of CELTA Online
- Online materials can be accessed at any time, giving you the flexibility to fit your training around other commitments.
- Course material is spread over 15 weeks, providing an increased amount of time for you to reflect on and develop what you have learned.
- Because the on-site portion of the course is just two weeks, accommodation and travel costs are reduced (compared to the intensive CELTA).
You do not need advanced computer skills to complete CELTA online. Basic typing skills and internet/email access are required.
- A laptop or computer and monitor with minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 pixels
- Windows XP Home and Professional 800MHz Processor with 256MB RAM
- Windows Vista 1GHz processor with 1GB RAM
- Windows 7 or 8 or 10 1GHz processor with 1GB RAM
- Mac OSX 10.3 or higher 1GHz processor with 1GB RAM
- This course is not currently available on iPads
- A reliable broadband-speed connection to be able to handle progressively downloading videos and virtual classroom sessions
- A good quality USB headset with headphones and microphone
- We recommend one of the following web browsers for Online CELTA.
- Firefox 3 or higher
- Internet Explorer 8 or higher
- Chrome does not support all course features. Please do not use Chrome.
- Microsoft Word (either PC or Mac version).
- Your browser will require the following free plug-ins to be installed and enabled. Please check the links below to make sure you have the latest plug-ins installed.
For more information about Cambridge CELTA Course Online, see Cambridge's FAQs page.
To hear what other online trainees have said about the course, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3i3LTjVAFg&list=PL03C75AAF56E281A4&index=3&feature=plpp_video