Outside Scholarships for Study Abroad
Highlighted External Scholarships
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- For students on Pell Grants studying in a country for at least 4 weeks. Award amounts vary depending on program length and student need; up to $5,000. For critical need language study, award amounts can be as high as $8,000. For summer, semester, and academic year study abroad. Federal Pell Grant recipients participating in programs longer than four weeks in one country. For more information, visit Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship.
- Boren Awards for International Study
- For students applying to study languages critical to U.S. National Security. Please see their website for more details on language and/or country eligibility requirements. Provides undergraduate recipients with funding up to $20,000 in return for working for the federal government for at least one year following completion of education.
Highly qualified undergraduate students are invited to apply for scholarships funding study, senior thesis research and/or internships in Germany.
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Offers $10,000 scholarships for Academic Year students, and $5,000 to semester students. Student must be studying through an approved Study Away program and preference is given to underrepresented groups (first generation, minority, STEM majors), student demonstrating financial need, participation in programs known for their academic rigor & immersion elements, and/or students studying in another language or in a non-traditional destination. Fund for Education Abroad Scholarships require a minimum of four-week program length.
Study must be in specified Asian countries. Must be at least 8 weeks in one of the countries stated above and will have intensive language study during that period.
- GI Bill Clarification
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grant
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants offer fifty $1000 awards each year. Undergraduate students from more than 300 colleges and universities that have an active Phi Kappa Phi chapter are eligible applicants for this scholarship. This scholarship opportunity aims to enhance the students' academic experiences through study abroad. This scholarship specifically targets individuals with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- The Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships
- Please check with your local Rotary Chapter for information regarding scholarship opportunities.
Affiliate Program Scholarships
Most affiliate programs offer their own scholarships for students participating on their programs. Please check your program provider's website, or contact a representative from your program for more details.
- ISA Scholarships--For studetns participating on a program through ISA
- Scholarships are offered through ISA itself, and through host universities that offer scholarships just for ISA students.
- ISEP Scholarships--For students participating on a program through ISEP
- Travel Scholarships: Two roundtrip travel scholarships for $500 will be awarded each academic year. To learn more about these scholarships, please call STA Travel at 1-866-557-8529 or E-mail email@example.com. Let them know you are an ISEP student and you will be entered to win. The deadlines for these scholarships are August 1 and December 15.
- Annette Kade Scholarships for Students Studying French or German: There will be 2, $2,000 scholarships and 5, $1,000 scholarships available for spring 2011. You can gather more information about these scholarships from the ISEP Web site. The deadline for these scholarships is typically October 1st
- KCP Scholarships--For students participating on a program through KCP
- KCP offers scholorships for their studetns studying in Japan.
- SAI Scholarships--For students participating on a program through SAI
- SAI offers scholarships to deserving students each academic year, they are open to all SAI participants.
- SOL Scholarships--For students participating on a program through SOL
- SOL strives to make their programs affordable for all students, they offer many scholarship options through their program.
- USAC Scholarships--For students participating on a program through USAC
- To assist students with financing their time abroad USAC offers scholarships to their students.
Additional External Scholarships
- Allianz Global Assistance will award 30 Finalists with a $50 Amazon Gift Card and 6 Grand Prize Winners will receive a $2,500 scholarship to put towards their study abroad or volunteer program.
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals
- The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals is a year-long fellowship that gives your students and recent graduates the opportunity to study and work in Germany. This program is open to students in all fields of study and at all levels of study, including graduating students who can participate after receiving their degrees. Students in the fields of agriculture, business, STEM, and vocational fields are especially encouraged to apply!
- At FlipKey, we value the importance of travel and cultural immersion as a way to learn about the world firsthand. To encourage this, we are awarding one student a $1,000 scholarship to put towards studying abroad.
The Foundation for Global Scholars (FGS) was established in 2006. FGS provide resources, experiences and financial support for college students and recent alumni to develop into global leaders and inspire a community of changemakers. They do this by providing successful applicants to the programs with funds to support a study abroad program, a 12- week academically accredited course that provides cultural competence and international project skills, and funds for student-led project that tackles a global challenge, e.g. health care, education, social change, and environmental and social justice, to name a few examples. The standard FGS Scholarship awards are valued $2000.
- Fulbright Programs
- For graduate students pursuing research abroad.
This scholarship is designed to promote international awareness and education. It is open to full-time enrolled U.S students with good academic standing. In other to apply for this grant, students will have to submit a letter of appreciation, two letters of recommendations, and confirmation materials from your institute and study abroad program. The awards are varies for each applicant.
- Go Overseas- New Zealand
- Education New Zealand has partnered with Go Overseas for the next three years to offer a full-tuition scholarship (up to $15,000) for a well-deserving US student to study among the kiwis for a semester. We've got the flight, travel insurance and a one-of-a-kind ‘kiwi experience'.
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Golden Key Society offers $1,000,000 in scholarships and awards each year for both undergraduate and graduates. The Study Abroad Scholarship-Spring Selection assists students who are going to participate in the study abroad programs and those with education-based study abroad experiences. The award will be up to $5,000 per individual. Deadline will be in June.
- For students with Hispanic heritage, at least a 2.5 GPA and US citizen. Emphasis on STEM majors. Deadline late March/early April for the next academic year. Award amounts range from $500 to $5,000.
- LIVFund Scholarship
- LIVFund is excited to offer its scholarship in 21 countries including Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay and Venezuela. LIVFund will award two  scholarships per month to selected recipients in the amount of $500 USD each.
- Award amounts vary. For more information, visit Fund For Education Abroad. Deadline: November of the year prior to studying abroad
- STA- Start the Adventure Scholarship
- The Start the Adventure Scholarship was born out of a desire by STA Travel to recognize both student and institution. Thus, $2500 is awarded to a deserving student and a matching donation of $2500 is made to the student's home university or college to award to an additional student of their choice for study abroad, thereby making each scholarship twice as powerful.
- UNESCO Laura W. Bush Traveling Fellowship
- The fellowship will help fund a proposal designed by the applicant to conduct brief work in a foreign country related to the mandate of UNESCO – using education, natural sciences, social and human sciences, culture, and/or communication and information to build strong ties among nations.
Scholarship Search Tools
- IIEPassport’s Study Abroad Funding
- DiversityAbroad.com’s scholarship search
- FastWeb.com's comprehensive scholarship search
- StudyAbroad.com’s information on Scholarships and Financial Aid
- The Center for Global Education’s All Abroad
Students are encouraged to seek alternative ways to funding their time abroad. Many students seek the assistance of a CrowdFunding website to ask family, friends, and family co-workers for financial support of their study abroad program. Websites such as GoFundMe.com and YouCaring.com are great ways to begin your crowdfunding. To ensure a successful campaign, here are 5 Steps for Success.