- Families that participate in the International Friends Program should not be expected to help with financial matters, legal matters or immigration matters. Please contact your school’s International Student Office for this help.
- In the United States, punctuality is important. Please be on time. If you cannot meet them at the agreed upon time, please call them.
- Many of your families will contact you initially by phone or email, please respond promptly. If you decide you don’t want to participate please contact the coordinators of the program so that they can contact the family.
- Please check your school email as the families are instructed to contact you by this method.
- If you must cancel a meeting, let your friendship family know as soon as possible.
- Anytime you are uncertain about what to wear for a visit, you may ask your family what clothing is appropriate.
- If there are any foods that you are unable to eat please let your family know.
- Most families don’t smoke cigarettes nor allow it in their homes.
- A visit to an American home is an excellent opportunity to practice American English and exchange opinions. Use this as an opportunity to learn about the U.S.
- In general, Americans don’t discuss their personal income, the cost of their possessions, their age or their weight.If you don’t understand something that was said please ask your family to repeat it or explain. American English is full of idioms and slang and you may not understand everything that was said.
- If your friendship family actively participates in a religious service, they will probably invite you to attend. Feel free to attend with them. You are under no obligation to attend. Normally a friendship family will not exert any religious pressure on you. If this should occur, please discuss it with the International Friends coordinators.
- It is not an American custom to bring a gift when visiting an American home. For a family member’s birthday or at Christmas, small, inexpensive gifts will be appreciated, but will not be expected.
- If your family invites you to a special event, it is permissible to ask if there is a cost and how much time is involved.
- Share photos of your family, books or postcards about your country.
- Invite your family to events that you are involved in at your school.
- Offer to cook a meal for your family.
- Introduce your family to your friends and roommates.
You will receive your family assignment by email and it will be marked International Friends.
Please contact the coordinators of the program if you have not heard from your family after two weeks of being assigned a family.
If for some reason you no longer want to participate in the program please contact the coordinators.