If you are studying abroad through Study Away approved programs, you can transfer credit from an accredited institution. You are responsible to initiate the transfer credit process, complete pre-approval requests including the academic Department Head approval, and make any necessary arrangements.
We are here to help you, so please follow the steps below.
With the exception of Short Term Faculty Directed programs all grades earned abroad will be transferred as Pass/Not Pass. Credit earned may be apply toward your degree requirements, but the actual grade will not be factored into your Missouri State University GPA.
- Request sufficient pre-approvals; however, be careful not to overload the academic departments with unnecessary pre-approvals.
- The more information you can provide about your intended coursework, the easier to receive an approval.
- Be sure to obtain an accurate course title, description, and/or syllabus. You can copy/paste your information into the pre-approval form.
- Make sure and accurately convert foreign credit hours to US credit hours.
- General Credit Guidelines:
30 ECTS = 15 US Credit Hours
6 ECTS = 3 US Credit Hours
45 Contact Hours = 3 US Credits
- General Credit Guidelines:
- Students studying a language abroad should refer to MCL’s guidelines for study away credit equivalencies.
- Students studying in Japan are encouraged to meet with academic department heads prior to departure.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your remaining degree requirements and how your courses abroad may be transferred.
- Select the courses you intend to take at your host institution.
- Do you need very specific coursework, but your host institution does not have up-to-date lists of course offerings? Please contact email@example.com or call 417-836-6368 to make an appointment.
- In most cases, courses are approved by the Department Head—not advisors, so they can only provide guidance not a guarantee.
- Complete the Request Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation and Request Transfer Credit Preapproval processes under the Registration tab, My Transfer Credit channel on My Missouri State.
- Once submitted, you will receive an email response from the Academic Department Head, indicating if your request has been approved or denied.
- A decision may take a week or more to be processed.
What happens if my schedule changes or my pre-approvals are denied?
- Changing course selections will require you to submit a new preapproval request.
- Unapproved course(s) will be transferred back as GEN 000, or General Elective Credit. It will not meet your degree requirements, but will apply toward the minimum number of hours needed to graduate.
- Register for classes at your host institution.
- If you plan to take language courses, you will be prompted to take a language proficiency exam.
- Complete the online Transfer Credit Reevaluation and Preapproval process, if you have not done so already or your classes have changed.
- It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that the host institution will send official transcripts directly to:
- Study Away Programs: Plaster Student Union 209, 901 S National Avenue Springfield, MO 65897 USA
- Completing the online pre-approval transfer credit process does not mean that your courses abroad are officially transferred to Missouri State. It is your responsibility to ensure that Study Away Programs receives your official transcripts from abroad and that the courses listed match your pre-approvals, including course title and credit hours.
- Double check that you have preapprovals for all of the courses you took abroad.
- Email Study Away if any of your courses should be transferred as GEN 000 elective credit.
- Upon Study Away receiving your transcript, we will cross check your online approvals with the courses listed on your official transcripts.
- If all courses have a matching approval, then your credits will be transferred accordingly.
- If there are some courses taken that were not pre-approved, you will be contacted by us to complete the remaining coursework approvals.
- Any remaining unapproved credit will transfer as GEN 000 elective credit.
- The Office of Admissions and the Registrar will process your transfer credit accordingly to your Missouri State University transcript.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your course transfers, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 417-836-6368 to speak with a Study Away Advisor.