In order to help students better help themselves, use the following questions to guide your student as they prepare for their time abroad.
Prior to deciding on a Study Away program:
- Have you checked your passport to make sure it's up to date?
- Have you determined a budget for the semester/summer/year?
- How will you negotiate living in a non-English speaking country?
- Have you met with the Study Away Programs office to discuss your options?
- Have you met with your academic advisor to talk about your study away plans?
- Do you plan to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss your aid and/or scholarships?
During the application process:
- What are your travel plans? Do you know how and when to make the flight arrangements?
- Have you read your acceptance materials and turned in the appropriate forms to the Study Away office?
- Do you know how to get your study abroad courses approved to transfer back to Missouri State University?
- Have you disclosed any of your needs for either physical disabilities or learning disabilities to the Study Away Office or your program?
- Do you have health insurance as part of the program and do you know how to activate it?
- Do you understand the policies that follow you on your study abroad program, such as withdrawals and cancellations?
After acceptance into the program, prior to departure:
- Do you need to get a visa?
- How are you carrying your money?
- How will you communicate with me upon arrival and throughout your time abroad?
- What plans will you have in place for emergencies?
- Do you have a list of family phone numbers with access codes for long distance dialing?
- Have you made plans to get medical prescriptions?
- Do you know the Study Away Programs staff emergency cell phone numbers?