Setting up a bank account
You will want to set up your bank account soon after you arrive in Springfield, Missouri. To open an account, most banks will require:
- Your full name, home address, home telephone number, local address, and local telephone number
- Two pieces of identification (acceptable ID includes your passport, Missouri State University BearPass card, Missouri driver's license, and at some banks, your birth certificate)
- A letter from your home bank confirming that you have good banking history can be helpful
There are many banks in the Springfield area, including:
Commerce Bank has a location in Plaster Student Union and ATMs around campus. Others are located off campus.
A post office is located in Plaster Student Union. You may also visit the U.S. Postal Service website for information on their locations in Springfield.
Cellular Telephone Providers
Some providers require a social security number in order to purchase a cell phone. Most international students are able to find options at:
- AT&T: pre-paid plans starting at $45/month
- Cricket: pre-paid plans starting at $40/month
- T-Mobile: pre-paid plans staring at $40/month
- Sprint: offers Missouri State students a 10% discount and a $200 reward card
- Verizon: pre-paid plans starting at $45/month
Internet and Cable Television Providers
Check the terms of your residence hall or lease agreement before you sign up for internet or cable. Missouri State residence halls include internet and cable and many apartment leases will include these items in the terms of the lease agreement.
Bus (City Utilities Transit)
- For information about City Utilities Transit, including bus routes and fees, visit the website: www.cityutilities.net/transit/transit.htm
- You may pick up a bus route map either at 1505 N. Boonville, on website, or from a bus driver.
- Buses pick up passengers at points along the route that are designated with "Bus Stop" signs.
Taxi Cab Companies
- Springfield Yellow Cab Co. 417-862-5511
- All Around Cab Co. 417-730-1993
- CCC Taxi Service 417-942-0921
- Blue Taxi 417-865-2583
- Royal Taxi 417-733-3701
- Springfield Orange Taxi 417-234-8828
Missouri State offers a shuttle to the Asian market, the Battlefield Mall, and Walmart every other Saturday. Purchase a ticket in Carrington Hall 210 for a semester $10 or the full year $15.