Required Travel Documents

Traveling assistance

You may reach the office of International Services at:

301 S. Jefferson, Suite 101
Springfield, Mo 65806
Phone: 417-826-6618
Fax: 417-836-7656

International travel checklist

All of these documents are required if you will be applying for an entry visa. It is suggested that you carry them with you when re-entering the US as well.

Required for international travel

  • Passport valid for at least six months after date of re-entry to the US
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 entry visa (and valid dependent visas, if needed)
  • I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel (within the last six months
  • Any work authorization you may have

To renew your current visa

  • Financial certifications (bank statement, offer letter for assistant-ship)
  • Copies of all I-20s or DS-2019s previously issued to you
  • Official transcript from the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320 (a letter of enrollment is not necessary for renewal)
  • University admission letters (or copies of admission letters) for each degree program or major, if applicable. If you do not have a copy, please see International Services.

State department guides


  • If you have a spouse or child traveling with you as your dependent, you will need to see International Services to request and F-2 or J-2 document.
  • The F-1 and J-1 visas are non-immigrant visas and you must prove that you are intending to return to your home country after completing your studies. Be prepared to discuss your plans after graduation to provide support of your intent to return.
  • Some F-1 or J-1 visa applicants may be required to pay a SEVIS fee. Dependents applying for an F-2 or J-2 never pay the SEVIS fee. For more information visit the US Immigration and Customs website.