Travel Checklist

It is suggested that you carry the following documents with you when re-entering the U.S; other items on this list are useful for supporting your activities as a student. All of these documents are needed if you will be applying for an entry visa.

Required for international travel:

  • Passport valid for at least six months after date of re-entry to the US
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 entry visa (and valid dependent visas, if needed)
  • I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel (within the last six months)
  • Any work authorization document you may have

If you need to re-new your current visa, you will also need the following:

  • Financial Certification (bank statement, offer letter for assistantship)
  • Copies of all I-20s or DS-2019s previously issued to you
  • Official Transcript (from the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320)
  • University admission letters (or copies of admission letters) for each degree program or major, if applicable. If you do not have a copy, please see International Student Services.

You do not need a letter of enrollment from the registrar for a visa renewal. The Department of State website states you only need a transcript. For further information, see:

Additional Resources and Information