Volunteer to help new international students succeed at Missouri State University.
International Student Ambassadors
Students from across campus are invited to participate in the International Student Ambassador program.
- Good academic standing at Missouri State University
- Able to represent Missouri State in a positive, informative manner
- Willing to embody the Public Affairs mission as an ethical leader, engaged with our community, with cultural competence
International Student Ambassadors serve as student mentors at New International Student Orientation. Fall 2017 New International Student Orientation will be held August 15 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and August 16 from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m. You can expect to participate in a half day training and a one and one half day orientation with new international students. Your duties include:
- Meeting and getting to know new international students
- Helping international students feel welcome at Missouri State
- Leading new international students through orientation sessions
- Providing a tour of campus to your mentees
- Answering questions and helping new international students learn what to expect from a U.S. classroom, campus life, living in apartments/residence halls, cultural nuances, and relating as a student in general
Fall 2017 International Student Ambassador training will be held August 14, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. International Student Ambassadors will receive a certificate following training and orientation recognizing their training and hours of service.
Training topics include:
- General overview of immigration terms, requirements, and expectations - not so you can be an immigration advisor, but so you have an idea of how immigration works and help new students understand the importance of staying in status
- Cultural competence workshop led by international graduate students to develop an awareness of your own culture, different cultural identities you may hold, how those identities shape your worldview, and how to be aware, sensitive, knowledgeable, and competent when interacting with others
- Cross-cultural communications workshop to learn different communication styles and how to communicate with various styles of communicators in an effective manner
- How to answer the frequently asked questions of new international students - and where to direct them if you're stumped
International Student Ambassadors enjoy many benefits:
- Cultural competence training
- Cross-cultural communtication training
- Leadership opportunity
- Volunteer hours for scholarships or organizations
- Opportunity to meet new friends from all over the world
- Freebies - training lunch, breakfast and lunch during orientation, International Student Ambassador tshirt, lanyard, and more!