Education Abroad does not have to be expensive. As a Missouri State University student, there are a variety of opportunities to help offset the cost.
Financial Considerations and Scholarships for Education Abroad
Resources to Fund Your Education Abroad Plans
- Using your Financial Aid
- MSU Scholarship Vouchers
- MSU Foundation Annual Scholarship
- Education Abroad College Scholarships
- External Education Abroad Funding Resources
- Magellan Scholarships
- Veterans' and Adult Learners' Benefits for Education Abroad
- Diversity and Belonging Resources Abroad
- You CAN Afford Education Abroad PowerPoint presentation
- Fundraising Ideas
- Fundraising Ideas Sample Letter
Check Your Eligibility
Using Your Financial Aid
Your financial aid may apply towards an approved program. Before meeting with financial aid, students must complete the corresponding budget documents. For long-term programs (such as summer, semester, or year) students will complete the budget worksheet. For short-term, faculty-directed programs, students will complete the cost sheet. Both of these documents can be found through the online application.
We suggest that you contact the Office of Financial Aid:
- To discuss your aid package if you have completed a FAFSA.
- If you are participating on a program with ISA, SAI, SOL, USAC, KCP or ISEP Direct, complete the Education Abroad Financial Aid – Payment Deferment Form.
- To know expected amount of loan money you are to receive for the term you plan to study abroad.
- To talk to a Financial Aid Loan Officer specifically assigned to Education Abroad before taking out any private student loans.
Meetings with Financial Aid should be scheduled with Vicky White. They will need to be scheduled a few days in advance. The meeting will be declined if the corresponding budget documents have not been approved by the Office of Education Abroad or International Business Programs.
Can I use my GI Bill? Please check with the MSU Oldham Family Veteran Student Center for more information about education abroad programs.
Can I use my 529 funds? Visit our page 529, Kauffman, Hagen, and Veterans with Study Abroad for more information on how to apply these funds toward your study abroad expenses.
MSU Scholarship Vouchers
Recipients of these scholarships receive one $1,000 education abroad voucher award: Board of Governors, Provost, Deans, and Inclusive Excellence. These awards may be applied to tuition, travel expenses, living expenses, or any other costs related to your education abroad program. The award will be automatically applied to your MSU account after your education abroad participation is verified with the Education Abroad office. Please note that these funds are applied to your University account and are dispersed the second week of classes of the semester of your education abroad program.
MSU Annual Scholarship
As an Missouri State student, you are eligible to use Missouri State scholarships for approved education abroad programs. You are also encouraged to consider applying for the General Departmental Education Abroad Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded for the following academic year, so apply early.
Frequently Asked Questions for the MSU Annual Scholarship
- Do I have to have a current FAFSA on file in order to apply for the MSU Annual Scholarship? Yes, please make sure that a current FAFSA has been filed by the time the scholarship application is submitted.
- When will I be notified if I am a scholarship recipient? All students selected for awards should be notified by mid-May at the latest.
- Will I receive any notice if I am not selected for any scholarships? No, students are only notified if they receive an award.
Donor funded scholarships are privately donated funds that are given to Missouri State students each year. Several donors provide funds specifically for education abroad students. The MSU Annual Scholarship Application is available each year around November 1 and the deadline is March 1 for the following academic year. Please follow the application instructions.
Education Abroad College Scholarships
Missouri State's colleges have partnered with the President's Office and International Programs to offer scholarships for education abroad students.
To apply, you must have your complete application and all required supporting documents submitted by the stated deadlines, no exceptions.
Scholarships Applications and Deadlines
- William H. Darr College of Agriculture (DCOAG)
- College of Business (COB)
- College of Education (COE)
- Reynolds College of Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities (RCASH)
- McQueary College of Health and Human Services (MCHHS)
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences (CNAS)
- Honors College Scholarship
- Global Studies Scholarship
- South Korea Scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to have a current FAFSA on file in order to apply for the Education Abroad College Scholarships? A FAFSA submission is preferred, but not required.
- When will I be notified if I am a scholarship recipient? Generally, decisions are made a within a month after the application deadline. Please look on each application for the specific decision date.
- Will I receive any notice if I am not selected for any scholarships? Yes, any student applying to the College Scholarships through the Education Abroad online application will receive a notification.
- If I receive a scholarship, is there anything I need to do? Yes, you must accept your scholarship within a set timeframe outlined on your award email or you will forfeit the scholarship.