Studying away does not have to be expensive. As a Missouri State University student, there are a variety of opportunities to help offset the cost.
Using Scholarships and Financial Aid to Study Abroad
Resources to Fund Your Study Away Plans
- Using your Financial Aid
- MSU Scholarship Vouchers
- MSU Foundation Annual Scholarship
- Study Away College Scholarships
- Magellan Scholarships
- External Study Abroad Funding Resources
- Veterans' Benefits for Study Away
- You CAN Afford to Study Away PowerPoint presentation
Check Your Eligibility
Your financial aid may apply towards an approved program. Before meeting with financial aid, please complete a Study Away budget worksheet, located on your online application.
We suggest that you contact the Office of Financial Aid:
- To discuss your aid package if you have completed a FAFSA.
- If you are participating on a program with ISA, SAI, SOL, USAC, KCP or ISEP Direct, complete the Study Away Financial Aid – Payment Deferment Form.
- To know expected amount of loan money you are to receive for the term you plan to study abroad.
- To talk to a Financial Aid Loan Officer specifically assigned to Study Away before taking out any private student loans.
Can I use my GI Bill? Please check GI Bill Clarification for more information about study away programs.
MSU vouchers may be used to help cover the costs of tuition, travel expenses, living expenses, or any other costs related to the study away program. Upon verification of your study away participation in an approved program, the voucher will be automatic as a part of the award package; you do not have to complete any paperwork.
Board of Governors Scholarship recipients (who were awarded in fall 2019 or after) have access to a $1,000 study away voucher. Board of Governors Scholarship recipients who were awarded in fall 2018 or earlier have access to a $500 study away voucher.
Inclusive Excellence Scholarship recipients (who were awarded in fall 2020 or after) have access to a $1,000 study away voucher.
Provost Scholarship recipients (who were awarded in fall 2020 or after) have access to a $1,000 study away voucher.
Deans Scholarship recipients (who were awarded in fall 2020 or after) have access to a $1,000 study away voucher.
University Scholarship recipients of this scholarship (prior to the fall 2019 term) have access to a $500 study away voucher.
As an Missouri State student, you are eligible to use Missouri State scholarships for approved study away programs. You are also encouraged to consider applying for the General Departmental Study Away Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded for the following academic year, so apply early.
Frequently Asked Questions for the MSU Annual Scholarship
- Do I have to have a current FAFSA on file in order to apply for the MSU Annual Scholarship? Yes, please make sure that a current FAFSA has been filed by the time the scholarship application is submitted.
- When will I be notified if I am a scholarship recipient? All students selected for awards should be notified by mid-May at the latest.
- Will I receive any notice if I am not selected for any scholarships? No, students are only notified if they receive an award.
Missouri State's colleges have partnered with the President's Office and International Programs to offer scholarships for study away students.
To apply, you must have your complete application and all required supporting documents submitted by the stated deadlines, no exceptions.
Scholarships Applications and Deadlines
- William H. Darr College of Agriculture (DCOAG)
- Judith Enyeart Reynolds College of Arts and Letters (RCOAL)
- College of Business (COB)
- College of Education (COE)
- McQueary College of Health and Human Services (MCHHS)
- College of Humanities and Public Affairs (CHPA)
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences (CNAS)
- Global Studies and Honors College Scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to have a current FAFSA on file in order to apply for the Study Away College Scholarships? A FAFSA submission is preferred, but not required.
- When will I be notified if I am a scholarship recipient? Generally, decisions are made a within a month after the application deadline. Please look on each application for the specific decision date.
- Will I receive any notice if I am not selected for any scholarships? Yes, any student applying to the College Scholarships through the Study Away online application will receive a notification.
- If I receive a scholarship, is there anything I need to do? Yes, you must accept your scholarship within a set timeframe outlined on your award email or you will forfeit the scholarship.